The latest trend in fitness equipment is here, and it has taken the fitness industry by storm. We are talking about Balance Boards. Many of you might have come across them in your life. At gyms, yoga parlors, physical therapy centers, beaches, parks, homes, etc., they are everywhere. Balance boards first became popular among surfers and skateboarders who practiced their skills inside their homes or during the off-season when the waves were not suitable for surfing. Before we give you our balance boards reviews, let us discuss what they are and how they work? The answers to these questions are simple. Let us answer them one by one.
What are Balance Boards?
Balance boards are fitness equipment that we can use to stand on while performing our workouts. They help improve balance, motor skills, rehabilitation, and preventing injuries. Balance boards also improve the mind-muscle connection.
How do They Work?
Balance board exercise involves standing on an unstable surface while performing weight training or bodyweight workouts. They are used for recreational purposes as well. The aim is to keep the corners or edges of the balance board from touching the ground while performing your workouts on it.
The Primary Benefits of Using Balancing Boards
- To strengthen your ankles and knees – Balance boards involve a lot of maneuvering on the part of the knees and ankles. Once you get the hang of using them, they improve the strength in those areas of the body.
- Improve body balance by strengthening the core – training on a balance board improves your balance by enhancing the mind-muscle connection and gives you a better sense of your body and its movements in a three-dimensional space.
- Improve posture – When you use a balance board every day for a few minutes, it strengthens your core, vital in good posture. It will ensure that the sag in your shoulders is gone in no time.
- Reduce lower back pain – Along with core strength comes to the easing of the lower back pain. While you’re standing on a balance board, you employ all your muscles in the core and the back and legs, which will make them strong and, in turn, rid you of the back pain.
- Intensify the existing workout regime – Trainers use them to make mundane workouts more fun and engaging.
In our balance boards review, we will discuss the different kinds of boards that are available. Balance boards are generally of two types. Namely, wobble boards and rocker boards.
Wobble boards are semicircular and have a curved base. They can move in any direction and be tilted to move in circles and the usual side to side and front and back movements.
Rocker boards move from side to side or front to back. They are available in two shapes – rectangular and curved U-shape.
You can choose whichever fits your requirements depending upon what you are comfortable with. A study conducted in 2018 found that using balancing boards while working from home increased the number of calories consumed. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could work at our jobs and burn calories simultaneously? Standing on a balance board while working can do that for you.
What to Look for in a Balance Board?
So you’ve decided to get yourself a balance board and rejuvenate your workouts. What should be the critical feature that one should be considering while making a decision? In this balance board review, we will bring you all the answers. To decide what kind of board you’re going to get, the most important thing is to know which areas of your body and for what purpose you intend to use it. Or are you buying it to intensify your workouts? They can come in very handy during these times when all of us are looking for new methods and equipment to make our workout routines more fun and engaging and getting the best results possible.
Now that you’ve decided to add a balance board to your workout. Let us give you the balance boards reviews for the ones we have scoured all over the internet for you.
Balance Boards Reviews of The Top 5 Boards
1. Stealth Core Trainer
This board uses Stealth’s patented 360-degree Dynamic Motion Technique, by which you can plank while playing your favorite games that come free with the app subscription you get when you buy it. It allows the user multi-directional motion and helps them develop a strong core in under 3 minutes a day.
This board utilizes the core strength to control the actions on your phone using the games in their app, thereby stimulating both, core and the brain. This board is perfect for those looking to work on their core strength and makes core training enjoyable and fun.
The key features include:
- Easily portable
- It makes planking easy and fun
- Works your arms, shoulders, lower back, glutes, core, abs, obliques, legs, and ankles
- It has ultra-comfortable arm pads and provides a dynamic range for planking.
- Any size smartphone can fit on the board
- The board offers 360-degree movement.
- Can be used to strengthen the core.
- Easy to use and interactive, making exercising fun.
- It is made using plastic.
- It can be pretty hard to manoeuvre for beginners.
Customer Reviews: These balance boards reviews are excellent, and it has a rating of 4.5/5 on Amazon. It is a device that works wonders for your core strength while not letting you get bored and is excellent for physiotherapeutic uses. It is perfect for those who like to make their workouts fun and intense.
2. Revolution 101 Balance Board Trainer
This board is different from the usual wobble or round boards so that it offers the users a lot more challenges to increase their core strength and balance. It’s fun and straightforward to use, and burns calories on the go, and can be used for anything from improving board riding skills to core strength to fitness.
The top of this board is cushioned and can be used with or without shoes. The cushioning is such that it doesn’t scratch the user or the surface it is used on. It is made of lightweight yet durable materials and can withstand very high weights up to 400 pounds.
The key features of this board are:
- Portable and compact
- It can be used anywhere
- It Burns calories and improves core strength
- Great for skateboarders as well to improve their skills
- It is a two-piece board that is not attached or joined together
- Very lightweight and easy to use anywhere by people of all ages
- Can withstand weight up to 400lbs+
- The stops at the end to keep the board from rolling over are not that efficient
- Only to be used on a surface that provides friction.
Customer Reviews: This balance boards reviews currently stand at 4.8 out of 5. It is sturdy and easy to use while at the same time being challenging to the user. It can be used while reading and doing simple tasks such as talking on the phone etc.
3. Bosu Pro Balance Trainer
This balancing board is designed to withstand heavy uses in various settings such as gyms, yoga studios, physical therapy, and rehab centers. It can be a great addition to your homes as well. And it is made of burst-resistant materials, is nearly indestructible, and can withstand weights up to 350 pounds.
It is very versatile, and both its sides can be used for exercising. It comes in handy during pilates, yoga, strength training, core exercises, posture improvement, etc.
The key features include:
- It comes with a pump, so you never have to worry about deflation.
- Designed for heavy use in all sorts of settings.
- Both sides can be used depending upon the needs of the user.
- The board offers limitless exercising options for endurance, strength, and balance.
- Durable over long periods
- You can use both sides for working out.
- Inflating it can be cumbersome, and it needs constant reinflation
- The surface is prone to wear and tear over time.
Customer Reviews: Customers in their balance boards reviews have sung praises for it. It holds a rating of 4.8 out of 5. The best thing about it is that this board is perfect for building balance and improving posture. This board can also be used for rehabilitation and by older people. The dynamic range of motions and exercise options it offers are endless.
4. Zelus Balance Ball Trainer
This product is made from environmentally friendly PVC and employs anti-burst technology. It comes with two detachable resistance bands that are used to perform resistance training while doing balancing exercises.
The board offers new aspects to exercises such as jump-squats, push-ups, ball lunges, reverse extensions, yoga, and pilates. It is easy to inflate, deflate, easy to carry, and comes with a pump. The resistance bands are also included, and one can replace them with their own to increase the intensity of the workouts.
The main features of this product are:
- Very good for activation of the core muscles.
- It is an exercise ball and can be used for cardio and strength training.
- Made from 100 percent safe material.
- The resistance bands are made of soft foam material and revolutionize your arms and shoulder workouts.
- Can be used to perform multiple types of workouts
- It is lightweight and is easily portable.
- Keeping it inflated for long periods can be an issue
- The resistance bands can, at times, slip out.
Customer Reviews: Customers in their balance boards reviews have given it a rating of 4.5/5. It makes for a great addition to any gym or home workout space. It activates your core and makes it more robust with regular use. The most significant plus point in this balance board’s review is how inexpensive it is.
5. StrongTek Professional Wooden Balance Board
This board is made of heavy-duty plywood and can be used for multiple training regimes such as dancing, gymnastics, and people trying to stay toned and gain core strength while performing low-intensity fitness routines.
The board offers a low-intensity exercise to improve your balance, agility, core strength, reaction time, and stamina. It is compact and portable, and the surface gives an excellent grip to the user.
The main features include:
- Slip resistance surface
- The base is solid and stable and uses anti-slip-pads at the edges
- It comes fully assembled, freeing you of the hassles of assembly.
- The rounded edges minimize the risk of injury significantly.
- It is compact and easy to carry.
- Slip resistance surface made of plantation wood
- Durable and easily portable
- It doesn’t offer a lot of movement for intense workouts.
- Wood can cause splinters at times on feet.
Customer Review: When talking in their balance boards reviews, the customers have given it a score of 4.6 out of 5. It is very sturdy and safe to use. The surface is covered with material that resembles sandpaper grit. The balance boards reviews further mention how it is very effective for core strengthening and physiotherapy, and rehabilitation.
Our Editor Choice
The balance boards reviews mentioned above are for our top picks, but we recommend the Zelus Balance Ball Trainer to make one recommendation.
It is the best balance board out there because of its price range and ease with which it incorporates resistance training into your balancing workouts. It gives the same and even better results than the high-priced brands.
As you must have read in our balance board review, the best features of this balance board are that it offers premium quality to its users at a very reasonable price compared to other brands. The board also offers a wide range of motions and can be used for training and strengthening the upper body. It makes doing jump-squats, lunges, reverse lunges, push-ups, etc., pretty fun and intense.
The price bracket for this board is its most significant advantage, along with its functionality and durability.