Smith machines are the bread and butter of many gyms around the world. The range of workouts they offer to their users is very wide. And on top of that, it can be used by anyone, from a beginner to an advanced level athlete or bodybuilder who is trying to increase their weight lifting capacity through progressive overload. Before we get into our list of the best home smith machines, we need to understand what they are and how they work, along with the benefits of using a smith machine.
What is a Smith Machine?
When it comes to physical fitness, it is important to not just focus on cardiovascular exercises. Rather, it is very important to do strength training. Not only does strength training build up muscles and improve the physical strength in the body, but it also is very helpful in weight loss. Strength training is also helpful in preventing long injuries to muscles and joints.
There are different ways of performing strength training. With the fitness industry incorporating new techniques and methods every day, newer methods are getting added. Yet, lifting weights has not been trumped yet and it will never be. Lifting weights is the perfect way of performing strength training.
Strength training by lifting weights can be of multiple types. Two of the most popular ones are free weight training using dumbbells and weights, and assisted weight training using machines and equipment. Gyms and fitness centers have both options available for anyone who wants to use them.
Advantages of Strength Training
Strength training is one of the best and the fastest ways to get into shape and achieve your fitness goals. It is the key to attaining the perfect chiseled body that you might have always aspired to have or to have those washboard abs. Some of the major benefits of strength training are listed below:-
- Build up Muscles and Strength – strength training is the best way to build up muscles and improve your day-to-day ability to perform tasks that require a bit of strength. On top of that, it will help you build muscles faster. It will help your everyday life in a much better way than simple cardiovascular exercises would. And it is better for the all-around development and physical fitness of the entire body.
- Develop and Maintain Strong Bones – while performing strength training, along with muscles, bones are also strained. This is helpful in making the bones stronger over time. Along with that, it improves functionality, bone density, joint strength, etc.
- Help With Chronic Diseases – many diseases such as arthritis and osteoporosis can be managed and even avoided by performing strength training effectively.
- Improve Cardiovascular Capacity – strength training at least twice a week is known to blood pressure, reduce hypertension, and lower the risk of heart disease.
- Boost Mental Health – strength training has proven to be helpful in improving mental health and cognitive ability among people who perform it twice or more in a week. It is also known to be helpful in improving your learning skills over time.
- Lose Weight and Maintain Weight – strength training is much better than cardiovascular exercises in the pursuit of losing weight and maintaining it as well. Moreover, performing simple cardiovascular exercises might reduce weight but it would not give your body the definition or shape you are looking for. That can only come from strength training.
Different Types of Strength Training
Like all different types of training and exercises, strength training can be of multiple types, such as:
- Bodyweight – exercises such as pushups, pullups, planks, lunges, free squats, etc. are a part of bodyweight exercises. They do not require any additional weights or extensions and can be performed using your body weight only.
- Resistance Training – many people use resistance bands and tubes in order to perform or to accentuate their bodyweight exercises and other strength training exercises.
- Free Weight – using dumbbells, barbells, etc. is another method of performing strength training. They do not have any support attached to them and are great for building muscles and strength and also strengthen the stabilizing muscles in the body.
- Weight Machines – there are many machines that are used for strength training such as squat racks, leg press, smith machines, etc., and have become a mainstay in most of the gyms and fitness centers worldwide. They can be a great addition to any home gym setup as well. They are not as ideal to strengthen the stabilizer muscles but have other different sets of benefits.
With the Covid-19 pandemic shutting down fitness centers and gyms, access to weight training has been shut down globally. So, if you are in the need of setting up a home gym or buying weights for yourself, storing the equipment and weights is one of the biggest issues faced by people. Having different sets and types of weights for different exercises can be an issue. This is where the Smith machine comes in. A Smith machine is a multi-purpose machine that can be used to perform a plethora of exercises. It is the perfect machine to be incorporated into your workouts and home gyms.
Advantages of a Smith Machine
There are many benefits of using a Smith machine that people are not aware of. Some of the most common and widely known benefits are listed below:-
- An all-in-one Machine – Smith machine can be used to perform full-body strength training. From chest workout to shoulders, to legs, glutes, etc. each and every major muscle group in the body can be worked out using a Smith machine.
- Best for Beginners – For beginners, it can be tough to maintain proper form while performing weight training exercises such as squats, shoulder push, benchpress, etc. A smith machine will help beginners who will need help to have the proper form. Moreover, it prevents a lot of injuries and muscle aches, and pain that might occur due to bad form while performing these exercises. On top of that, the smith machine does not require you to have a spotter while working out.
- Ability to Lift More Weight – The major problem that people who lift weight and perform strength training is the fact that they might hit a plateau in the weight that they can lift or perform exercises with. By using a smith machine you can overcome that barrier and lift more and more weight over time, building up strength.
- Doesn’t Take up too Much Space – The smith machine can be a big machine but for the number of workouts and options, it provides. It is one of the best purchases for anyone to make for their home gym.
- More Convenient to Use – Getting started on the fitness journey can be uncomfortable for many people especially around the public in gyms and fitness centers. Having a smith machine at your home will help you get started on your journey at your own comfort.
Now that we have understood the advantages of strength training and the different ways to do it, and the benefits of a smith machine when it comes to strength training. It is time to dive into our review of the best home smith machines for you. But before that, it is important to understand what the most important features are that you should be looking for in a smith machine.
The Features to Consider in a Smith Machine
Although, smith machines have evolved to incorporate almost all the requirements for a full-body workout. There are still some features that need to be considered before buying a smith machine for your home. Some of those key factors to consider before investing in a smith machine are:-
- Weight Capacity – the weight capacity of the smith machine is the first thing to be considered. The weight capacity that a machine can handle will be a good parameter to measure how much it can handle and the amount of weight you can use on it.
- Types of Workouts Offered – although smith machines are good for chest, legs, and shoulder workouts, modern-day smith machines come with additional features and attachments that can help you work out other body parts such as the back, etc. The more types of workouts a smith machine offers, the better it is.
- Height Levels Offered – the more the height levels that are offered, the better the smith machine would be in order to be used by people of all heights and sizes.
- Ease of Assembly – smith machines can be a bit tough to assemble. So the best-case scenario is that they can be assembled easily and if not, then there should be instructions or support available in order to assemble the machine in a manner that makes the machine safe to use.
- Price – this is one of the most important aspects of buying a smith machine. The machine should be not too hard on the pocket and yet offer the most utility for the money that is being spent.
Now that we have covered all the bases that needed to be considered before making a decision on what the best home smith machines are, it is now time to get started with our reviews of the best home smith machines available in the market.
1. ER Kang Olympic Power Cage
The first product on our best home smith machines is one of the top-notch options available in the market. It is suited to incorporate all the major types of strength training exercises. It is a perfect addition to any home gym setup or even to a professional gym. The versatility that it offers makes the ER Kang Olympic Power Cage best suited to start our list of the best home smith machines. Ensuring that it meets all the considerations that we need to cover in order to make a decision:
- Weight Capacity – It is built to handle up to 1000lbs weight capacity. The machine itself weighs 137lbs which makes it pretty stable to use.
- Types of Workouts Offered – The machine is designed to offer a wide variety of workouts including lat pull down, pull-up bar, flat row, squats, dips, landmine row, etc.
- Height Levels Offered – The machine comes with 12 adjustable height levels making it perfectly suited for people of all heights
- Ease of Assembly – The product comes with an instruction manual and it states clearly that it takes 2 people to assemble it. This makes it a bit difficult to assemble for a single person.
- Price – It is on the lower end of the price range and for the kinds of workouts it offers, it is worth the price.
- The wide variety of workouts offered by the machine.
- The price is very attractive.
- Difficulty in assembling.
- The width of the machine is a bit less restricting movements a bit.
Customer Reviews: The product has a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. While many of the customers have praised its wide range of workouts, a few have struggled with assembling it.
2. RitFit Power Cage
The second machine on our list of best home smith machines is the RitFit Power Cage. It is very similar to the previous machine and is in the same price range. It is made of steel and comes with a 36-month warranty. Running the machine through our list of considerations for the best home smith machines:
- Weight Capacity – It has a weight capacity of 1000lbs and has a plate capacity of 600lbs. For dips, the machine is designed to handle 350lbs, for pullups, the capacity is 300lbs, etc.
- Types of Workouts Offered – The machine is designed to facilitate strength training exercises such as squats, lat pulldowns, dips, rows, pullups, landmine rows, etc.
- Height Levels Offered – It has 12 height levels with a 2-inch separation between them.
- Ease of Assembly – The product comes with an instruction manual and it is delivered in two separate packages.
- Price – It is one of the moderately priced products available in the market.
- The wide variety of exercises it offers.
- The different height levels and the width of the machine.
- It can be a bit difficult to assemble for someone that is not handy with the tools.
- The machine comes with a 36-month warranty.
Customer Reviews: More than 200 customers of this product on our review of the best home smith machines have given it a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. The only issue that a handful of users have experienced is the assembling.
3. Kicode Power Squat Rack
Next on our list of the best home smith machines is the Kicode Power Squat rack. And like the other ones before this, it also comes with the ability to facilitate multiple types of strength training exercises. It is made of steel and is built to withhold a decent amount of weight.
Putting this machine through our list of considerations for the best home smith machines:
- Weight Capacity – It is built to withstand a weight of up to 1000lbs and the lat pull attachment can withstand 220lbs of weight. The machine weighs 161lbs making it very stable to use.
- Types of Workouts Offered – Like the previous machines on our list, this is also designed to support a wide range of strength training exercises including lat pulls, pull-ups, rows, etc.
- Height Levels Offered – It comes with 12 different heigh level adjustments making it ideal for almost all users.
- Ease of Assembly – The instructions provided with the machine are simple to follow making it very easy to assemble.
- Price – This is one of the cheapest kinds of smith machines that are available on the market and it can prove to be a perfect addition to any home gym set-up.
- It is one of the most price-efficient products.
- The ease of assembling the machine is better than others.
- The width of the machine can act as a restriction for performing some movements efficiently.
- The bolts and parts can be a bit too much for some people to put together.
Customer Reviews: More than 80 customers of this machine on our best home smith machines list have given it a rating of 4.5 out of 5. Making it one of the best machines with the majority of the buyers not experiencing any troubles with it.
4. Papababe Power Cage
The fourth machine on our list of the best home smith machines is the Papababe power rack. It is made up of heavy-duty steel. It is built to support a full-body workout and can be used to exercise almost all the major muscle groups in the body. Putting the Papababe power rack through our list of features to be considered:
- Weight Capacity – The machine is built to withstand a weight of 1200lbs which is more than the previous machines on the list. It weighs 163lbs which makes it very stable and sturdy to use.
- Types of Workouts Offered – It can be used to work out all major muscle groups in the body including chest, back, triceps, etc.
- Height Levels Offered – This machine comes with 26 different height levels for safety and is suitable to be used by anyone up to the height of 6’4”.
- Ease of Assembly – It comes with clear instructions and after being bolted to the floor it can be easily used. Although it is recommended to not assemble it alone.
- Price – It is one of the cheapest machines on the list and it is worth every cent that is spent on it and more.
- The price is very attractive and offers more value for money than others.
- The machine has a higher weight capacity at 1200lbs and the lat pulldown can support 400lbs.
- The machine might give some metal shavings while assembling.
- Some parts are found to bend or get disfigured during assembly or transit.
Customer Reviews: This machine on our list of the best home smith machines has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. With the majority of the buyers happy with the machine. The only issue some have faced is with the delivery of the parts that might at times be missing one or two pieces of equipment.
5. Vanswe Power Rack
The fifth machine on our list of the best home smith machines is the Vanswe Power rack. It is one of the sturdiest machines that had a wide inner area that allows for a wider range of movements inside it. Putting the machine through our list of considerations would give a much better idea about the machine’s utility.
- Weight Capacity – It has a weight capacity of 1300lbs, it weighs 256lbs and it is one of the most stable machines to use without having to bolt it to the floor even.
- Types of Workouts Offered – It is built to support a wide range of workouts including pushups, pull-ups, lat pulldowns, squats, curls, shrugs, etc.
- Height Levels Offered – It offers 21 different height levels for safety bars.
- Ease of Assembly – The machine comes with an easy-to-follow instruction manual and will be delivered in three separate boxes.
- Price – It is one of the mid-range products on our list and is worth more than its price if it is used efficiently and regularly.
- The high weight of the machine makes it very stable and sturdy to use.
- Comes with 10 different types of free accessories.
- The price is a bit higher than the other products that offer a similar array of exercises.
- The assembling process can be a bit of a drag for a single person to undertake.
Customer Reviews: More than 20 buyers of this machine on our list of the best home smith machines have given it a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars. The only issue a handful of buyers have faced is the separate deliveries of the parts.
6. Body-Solid Powerline Smith Machine
The next machine on our list of the best home smith machines is one of the most basic smith machines that are available in the market. Although it doesn’t come with multiple other attachments like the previous machines, it has the mechanism that a smith machine is supposed to have in order to make lifting weights smoother and stable. Putting this machine through our list of features to consider:
- Weight Capacity – The machine has a capacity of 400lbs and itself weighs 168 pounds which makes it fairly stable to use. It has a catch system for the safety of the bar while lifting weights.
- Types of Workouts Offered – It does not come with attachments for lat pulls and dips, etc. the exercises that can be performed are a bit limited to only chest, legs, and shoulders.
- Height Levels Offered – It has 14 different lock points for safety and height adjustments.
- Ease of Assembly – The machine is simple enough to be put together by a single person with the instructions that come along with the machine.
- Price – It is slightly higher priced but it offers all the advantages of a smith machine. It will help you lift weights and also give the safety of a machine.
- It offers a combination of free weight lifting with a machine’s safety.
- It is very simple and easy to assemble.
- It does not come with attachments to allow for a full-body workout.
- The safety locks in the machine can jam at times and be tough to use.
Customer Reviews: More than 60 customers of this machine in our list of the best home smith machines have given it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Some buyers do face the issue with the safety locks in the machine and the stability of the machine.
7. Mikolo Multi-function Power Cage
Our next pick for the best home smith machines is the Mikolo Multi-functional Power Cage. It comes with a myriad of attachments that make it perfect for use for different sets of muscle groups. Running this machine through our list of considerations:
- Weight Capacity – It has a weight capacity of 1200lbs and the machine itself weighs 260lbs making it very sturdy and solid to use.
- Types of Workouts Offered – It offers an almost entire body workout including chest, back, legs, glutes, etc. through the attachments that are there in it.
- Height Levels Offered – It has 14 different height levels that can be adjusted depending upon the user.
- Ease of Assembly – The instructions are pretty easy to follow and two people can very easily assemble the machine.
- Price – It is a bit costly and there are products that offer the same range of exercises at a lower price.
- The 14 different height levels make it easy to use for almost all sizes of individuals.
- It offers a full-body workout.
- The price is a bit high when compared to other products of the same type.
- The safety bars are not as sturdy as they should be.
Customer Reviews: More than 90 customers of this machine on our best home smith machines list have given it a rating of 3.9 out of 5. Some users have faced issues with the instructions that come for its assembly.
8. Marcy Smith Machine
This product on our list of the best home smith machines is one of the best products for the price range. It offers a complete full-body workout along with the safety and sturdiness of the machine. Running this machine through our list of features:
- Weight Capacity – The machine has a total weight capacity of 2000lbs.
- Types of Workouts Offered – It offers a complete body workout with different sets of attachments. It can be a one-stop-shop for bodybuilding.
- Height Levels Offered – The machine has 10 different height adjustments available.
- Ease of Assembly – Assembling the machine can be a bit of a hassle for one person alone.
- Price – The price for the number of workouts it offers is what makes this product so popular.
- The price versus the utility ratio is too good.
- It offers strength training with all the safety of a smith machine.
- Assembling it can be cumbersome.
- The pulley system in the machine can be a hassle for beginners to set up.
Customer Reviews: More than 800 customers of this machine on our list of best home smith machines have given it a rating of 4.4 out of 5. This makes it a favorite amongst the customers, although the instructions to assemble can be a bit tough to follow.
9. Valor Fitness BE-11 Smith Machine
The second last machine on our list of the best home smith machines is the Valor fitness BE-11 Smith Machine. It is one of the more simplistic machines that offer the majority of the benefits of a smith machine. Putting it through our list of considerations:
- Weight Capacity – The machine is designed to handle weights up to 500lbs.
- Types of Workouts Offered – The lack of attachments reduces the types of workouts it can offer. But it can still be used to work out the chest, legs, shoulders, etc.
- Height Levels Offered – It comes with 14 different safety locks for the bar.
- Ease of Assembly – The machine comes in 5 different packages and the instructions are simple to follow.
- Price – It is moderately priced but for the number of workouts and stability it offers, it is a good purchase.
- The machine is very sturdy to use and is highly stable and efficient.
- It comes with a 60-day return policy.
- The lack of attachments.
- Assembling the machine can take up a lot of time.
Customer Reviews: More than 100 customers of this machine on our list of the best home smith machines have given it a review of 4.6 out of 5 stars. The major issues faced by some have been during assembling the machine.
10. Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage
The last machine on our list of the best home smith machines is a simplistic one but it offers a lot for the price and the area it needs to store. Putting it through our list of considerations before buying the machine:
- Weight Capacity – The machine has a total weight capacity of 800lbs.
- Types of Workouts Offered – It is designed to offer the users workouts for chest, shoulders, legs, glutes, etc. Although its lack of attachments stops it from being able to work out the entire body.
- Height Levels Offered – It has 19 different height levels for safety bars.
- Ease of Assembly – It is shipped in 2 packages and comes with instructions that are easy to follow.
- Price – It is one of the cheapest products on the list and offers good value for the money.
- The really low price is a big attraction.
- It comes with a bench which is not available with the other machines.
- The lack of attachments.
- The lower weight capacity compared to others in the list.
Customer Reviews: Close to 400 customers of this product on our list of the best home smith machines have given it a rating of 4.6 out of 5, making it one of the best-rated products on the list.
Our Editor’s Selected Best Home Smith Machines
Now that we have gone through the entire list of the best home smith machines, looking at all the factors, features, etc. The best machine out of all the options is the: Marcy Smith Machine
The factors behind the machine being the editors pick are:-
- The number of workout options it provides.
- The price range is very effective and pocket-friendly.
- The stability and durability of the machine.
- Despite its different attachments, the machine is easy to assemble.
- It is a truly one-stop full-body workout station.