For anyone that is into fitness and wants to have great physical health along with a great physique, leg workouts are a very integral, yet ignored part of the fitness regime. In this article, we will guide you through the best leg workout machines. But before we dwell on it, for those that are new to working out, we will look at the importance and the kinds of leg workouts you should be performing. For the veterans out there, who know how taxing leg workouts can be, the information will prove to be a great motivator.
The Importance of Leg Workouts
Legs are what provide our body the stability and ability to maintain balance. And thus leg workouts are needed in order to improve the body’s stability, agility, speed, and overall strength.
Leg muscles are one of the largest muscle groups in the body along with the chest and back muscles. And while most people are more than eager to work out their chest and backs, they do not focus on their leg muscles as such. Leg work out mostly focus on the quads, glutes, and hamstrings. These muscles are not only aesthetically pleasing, but they also give your body stability and improve your general physical well-being. Consider the lower body as the foundation on which your upper body is built. Having a strong lower body/legs will give you more strength in your day-to-day life and for performing upper body workouts as well.
The only time that you should be skipping a leg workout is when you are feeling under the weather, sore from pain, or carrying an injury.
Apart from the above mentioned general benefits of a leg workout, there are a lot of specific benefits, some of those are:
- Hormone Secretion – Leg workouts can stimulate the proper secretion of hormones such as testosterone, cortisol, and the human growth hormone. Testosterone helps with building muscles and repair muscle breakdown. Cortisol hormone reduces stress levels and boosts the body’s metabolism, while human growth hormone is great for immunity, growth, and the overall body.
- Improve Body Balance – Working out legs will give you improved balance in your body ensures that your strength is distributed evenly between your dominant and non-dominant leg.
- Strengthen Core – Core strength is very important when it comes to working out or even performing your daily chores. Performing leg workouts is a sure shot way to engage the core and strengthen it without performing targetted core workouts.
- Improve Other Workouts – Stronger legs will help you perform workouts for the other body parts in a much more efficient manner and will produce better results.
- Tackle Ailments – The sedentary lifestyle induces a lot of ailments such as tendinitis, varicose veins, etc. Having a regular leg workout schedule can help prevent them as well as give relief to those suffering from them.
Hence, it is of utmost importance that you do not skip your leg workouts and try to perform them as much as possible. A regular leg workout in your fitness regime will improve your overall health and fitness.
Now that we have understood the importance of leg workouts, we will take a look at the different types of exercises that form the crux of your leg workouts.
Best Leg Workout Exercises
Apart from the most efficient and widely popular exercise like squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc., there are many exercises which are often overlooked. Some of these exercises are for your calf muscles, glutes, hamstrings, etc. The exercises can be calf raises, leg press, leg curl, leg extensions, leg stretches, etc.
All these exercises if incorporated into your daily routine will help you get a proper balance and improve body strength drastically.
The Things to Keep in Mind for an Efficient Leg Workout
It is clear to us that leg workouts are of paramount importance and they can be performed in a variety of ways. But there are few things to be kept in mind to make sure the leg workouts you’re doing give you the best-desired results and do not result in injury or pain
The following are some of the most important leg workout tips to be incorporated:-
- Firstly, slow your leg workouts down. A good practice is to pause and hold the position when your leg muscles are under stress. This will help in better muscle development than simply rushing through them.
- Secondly, give your legs proper rest between sets and after the workouts. This will help in muscle recovery.
- Do not use your dominant leg to perform all your exercises. Instead, focus on using your non-dominant leg more often. This will give you a better balance.
- Proper hydration is very important for any type of workouts and this is especially true for leg workouts.
- Keeping your calorific intake to a healthy amount depending on your goals is really important.
- Wearing compression clothing on your legs during workouts will help you improve the efficiency of your workouts.
- Lastly, get proper sleep. This is the key to improving the efficiency of any type of workout regime you are following. A night of proper sleep helps your body repair and build muscles easily.
While most people focus on working their legs out at the gyms and fitness centers, some performed simple cardiovascular exercises such as running and cycling for improving their leg strength. But with the world caught in the throes of a pandemic, and going outside not becoming feasible. The focus has shifted on home workouts in the past year or more. Moreover, it is not entirely possible for everyone to go to the gyms every day even after the pandemic is over. So it is a good practice to incorporate some leg workouts that you can perform from the comfort of your homes or whenever possible. This will prove to be very helpful in the long run and also ensure that you do not skip a leg day under normal circumstances.
With this in mind, we begin our search for the best leg workout machines. Although there are a thousand options available in the market. It is imperative that you consider a few things before making the decision of what equipment you are going to invest in and why it is a good idea to get one of our best leg workout machines.
The need for one of our best leg workout machines is because performing normal squats or weighted squats, or lunges, etc., can get a bit boring after a while and requires a lot of self-motivation. The machines mentioned in our best leg workout machines will keep your leg workouts dynamic and won’t let you get bored. Moreover, the machines in our best leg workout machines list will help your leg workouts by making them more efficient and productive.
There are a few things to be kept in mind before picking the best leg workout machines for your home gyms. This will ensure that you get the most out of your workouts and attain your targets in the most officiant manner.
Things to Consider Before Picking The Best Leg Workout Machines
The following list prepared by experts consists of all the major things to consider before making the purchase:-
- Purpose – First thing to keep in mind before choosing the best leg workout machines is the purpose you need them for. Depending on which areas of legs you wish to focus upon, different machines and exercises can be used.
- Training Level – Secondly, you would need to assess your personal level of training and agility to ensure that the machine isn’t too tough to use.
- Budget – Third but one of the most important factors is the price of the machine.
- Versatility – Fourthly, the number of exercises the equipment can be used for is a very important parameter to decide which are the best leg workout machines for you.
- Storage & Portability – As is the case with most exercise equipment, storage, footprint, and portability can be a huge factor in deciding what to buy.
- Assembly – Most of the machines will need to be assembled by you and hence the assembly process should be easy and ensure that the machine that is assembled is sturdy and wouldn’t cause any injuries.
- Durability – Lastly, the longevity and durability of the machine will play a huge role in deciding which are the best leg workout machines for your home gyms.
Along with the above-mentioned factors, there can be multiple other personal factors that can help you in deciding which are the best leg workout machines for you. But keeping the above factors in mind before making a choice will ensure you get the most out of your workouts, and as such, we will test all the machines in our best leg workout machines list against the above conditions.
Now let’s dive into our list of the best leg workout machines for your homes.
Top 10 Best Leg Workout Machines
1. COVVY Thigh Master
The first product on our list of the best leg workout machines is one of the best and cheapest products that you can buy in the market right now. It has a steel frame, with a soft, sweat-resistant foam coating and is pretty simple to use. This simple machine is more efficient than it looks and can be used to work out thighs, hips, legs, and glutes. It is very compact and durable and can be carried around in a bag. Putting this product in our best leg workout machines list through our test parameters:-
- Purpose – The product can be used to train legs, hips, buttocks, thighs, and even arms, triceps as well.
- Training Level – it is a very simple product to use and is suitable for all levels of training from beginners to experts.
- Budget – the price is what makes it such a bargain at 8.50.
- Versatility – It can be used to work out lower as well as upper body parts, making it a handy addition.
- Storage & Portability – the product’s small size is a blessing and it can even be carried around in a bag while traveling.
- Assembly – the product comes already assembled and hence there’s no need to assemble it.
- Durability – the steel used in the product is strong and can withstand a lot of stress.
- Very cheap and cost-effective.
- Perfect for working out anywhere.
- The foam outer coating is not durable.
- The product is too small in size for some users.
Customer Reviews: More than 2000 customers have given this product a rating of 4 out of 5. The major praise has been about its useability. The only issue some users have faced is its small size.
2. EXmiles Foot Rocker
The second product on our best leg workout machines is a foot/leg stretcher designed to work out your lower legs, Achilles tendon, and calf muscles. It is suitable for use even while sitting on a desk and working. The design is one-size-fits-all and can relieve lower leg pain and other issues such as tendonitis, ankle strain, or other chronic conditions. It is made of rubber and can be carried around in a bag. Putting the product through our conditions:
- Purpose – it is built for mild and moderate stretched and workouts and not heavy muscle-building exercises.
- Training Level – Suitable to be used by anyone that wishes to stretch leg muscles or suffers from some chronic leg conditions.
- Budget – easy on the pocket at $12.84.
- Versatility – It can only be used for mild stretches of the lower leg muscles.
- Storage & Portability – it is very easy to carry around and would fit in a drawer in your home.
- Assembly – the product comes complete in one piece.
- Durability – It is made of rubber and is designed to last long.
- It is very efficient in relieving pain and stretching.
- Can be used while sitting in a chair as well.
- Does not offer a lot of options except for stretching.
- Lack of size options.
Customer Reviews: this product in our best leg workout machines list is very popular and has a rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. It is very effective in pain relief and the only complaint is the lack of size options.
3. HOTOPGELY Leg Stretcher
Our fourth pick for the list of best leg workout machines is a 3 bar leg stretcher. It is suitable for yoga, MMA, gymnastics, and other forms of training. The product is made from steel and the handles are covered with sweat and slip-resistant foam. The bars have holes in them so that they can be adjusted according to your comfort. Subjecting this product in our best leg workout machines list through our conditions:-
- Purpose – It is suited for yoga, gymnastics, MMA, and other forms of training.
- Training Level – can be used by anyone at any level of training.
- Budget – It is very economically priced at $26.99.
- Versatility – offers the option to work out inner and outer thighs as well as stretch the lower body.
- Storage & Portability – it is very easy to store in a corner and can be carried around as well.
- Assembly – Does not require assembling.
- Durability – made from steel, and the grips are rubber coated that are built to last long.
- Very economical and easy to use.
- Can be used for multiple types of workout regimes.
- Not suited for building muscles.
- It is of not much use for people who are already pretty flexible.
Customer Reviews: Nearly 200 customers of this product on our best leg workout machines list have given it a rating of 4.2 out of 5 and the only problem people have mentioned is that it is not of much use for advanced level training.
4. Champs MMA 3 Bar Leg Stretcher
The next product on our best leg workout machines list is also a leg stretcher. It offers the user the ability to improve body flexibility as well as stretch the body after intense workouts. Putting this product through our list of factors to consider:-
- Purpose – it can be used for MMA, yoga, gymnastics, stretching, etc.
- Training Level – people of all training levels and ages can use this easily.
- Budget – very budget-friendly at $29.99.
- Versatility – it can be used to stretch and tone the legs muscles as well as increasing flexibility.
- Storage & Portability – very easy to store and carry around in a bag as it is one of the smallest products available.
- Assembly – it also doesn’t require any assembly.
- Durability – made from steel and has rubber handles that are very durable.
- The variety of exercises and stretching options it gives.
- Very easy to carry around anywhere.
- The product is not for heavy training.
- The range of motions offered is limited.
Customer Reviews: more than 33 customers have given it a rating of 4.2 out of 5 and hence it is on our list of best leg workout machines.
5. SPRI Slide Board
This product on our list of best leg workout machines is a slide board. Slide boards offer low-impact lower body workouts and also help with core strength and improve balance. When running our conditions over this product:
- Purpose – It is very good for lower body training, abs, and glutes workouts.
- Training Level – anyone from professional athletes to novices can use it with ease.
- Budget – very pocket-friendly at $42.22.
- Versatility – can be used to work out multiple body parts with minimal negative impact.
- Storage & Portability – easily foldable and comes with a carry bag.
- Assembly – no assembling required.
- Durability – made from PVC, it is very durable and long-lasting.
- Can be used for multiple body parts.
- Minimal impact to knees and ankles.
- Not for heavy training.
- More suited for low-intensity workouts.
Customer Reviews: More than 1200 of the customers have given this product a rating of 4.3 out of 5. It is one of the most useful products on our best leg workout machines list.
6. Trademark Innovations Calf Board Wedge Stretcher
This product on our list of best leg workout machines is used for calf extensions and can help relieve calf strains, ankle pain. This is a piece of good equipment to improve balance as well. Upon subjecting this product in our best leg workout machines list through our conditions:-
- Purpose – can be used to stretch legs and calf muscles.
- Training Level – any person at any training level can use it without any help.
- Budget – it is a steal at its price of $42.99.
- Versatility – offers stretches for legs and calf muscles only.
- Storage & Portability – has a very small footprint and is easy to carry around.
- Assembly – does not require any assembling.
- Durability – the wood is very sturdy and of good quality that will make it last.
- Very good for pain relief and stretching.
- Offers multiple angles and thus helps with body balance.
- It is only useful for stretching.
- Can be too high for some users.
Customer Reviews: this product on our best leg workout machines list has a rating of 4.6 out of 5. The customers are pleased with its ease to use and the health benefits offered.
7. LeikeFitness Deep Sissy Squat Workout Station
This product on our list of best leg workout machines is the more versatile one. It can be used for sissy squats, leg extensions, back extensions, etc. It is made from steel and has leather coating and foam over it. Ensuring that this machine fits our criteria for the best leg workout machines:
- Purpose – it can be used to work calves, lower legs, back extensions, glutes, and stretching.
- Training Level – requires intermediate levels of training.
- Budget – very economical for the benefits it offers at $149.00.
- Versatility – can be used for multiple muscle groups in the legs and back.
- Storage & Portability – can be folded and stored in a corner but not easily portable.
- Assembly – requires only minimal assembly that is tightening some screws.
- Durability – the steel frame and leather are of very good quality and ensure that it is durable.
- Can be used for a variety of muscle groups.
- Minimal assembling required.
- Not suitable for beginner-level workouts.
- The size is not adjustable.
Customer Reviews: The customers of this product on our best leg workout machines list have given it 4.6 out of 5 stars. The only complaint that they have is that it is not perfect for people that are very tall.
8. Leikefitness Deluxe Multi-Function Deep Sissy Squat Bench
Another product that is very similar to the product before this. The company in this product offers arm handles to incorporate upper body training as well in this machine along with exercises for the entire lower body. Our conditions for choosing the best leg workout machines:
- Purpose – Leg workouts, glutes, calves, back extensions, and upper body training as well.
- Training Level – this also requires a moderate level of training for proper use.
- Budget – a very sold mid-range product at $159.00.
- Versatility – can be used for training different muscle groups.
- Storage & Portability – easily foldable and stored under the bed or in corners but is not easily portable on a day-to-day basis.
- Assembly – only minimal screwing of bolts required for this machine.
- Durability – the stainless steel body along with leather covers and handles make it very sturdy and solid.
- Offers almost a full-body workout along with legs.
- Cost-effective for the number of exercises that can be performed.
- Some level of training beforehand is required.
- Size might not be suitable for taller people.
Customer Reviews: the product has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 and makes it a perfect addition to our list of best leg workout machines.
9. Weanas Pro Leg Stretcher Machine
The second last product on our list of best leg workout machines is a leg stretcher that can be used to train the inner thighs and offers a very wide range of movement. It is made from solid steel and has dual-layered padding. The product when viewed from our conditions:-
- Purpose – best suited for leg stretches and working out inner thighs.
- Training Level – no prior training required and can be used by anyone.
- Budget – It is a bit costly at $169.99 due to its low functionality.
- Versatility – does not offer many versatile workouts.
- Storage & Portability – it is foldable but will require a place to store and is not easily portable.
- Assembly – some assembling required which is pretty easy to do.
- Durability – made of high-quality material that is very long-lasting.
- It is very easy to use without any prior training.
- The product is very sturdy and can withstand heavyweight.
- Not suitable for very tall people.
- Not to be used by anyone weighing more than 235 lbs.
Customer Reviews: after more than 100 reviews, this product on our best leg workout machines list has a rating of 4.5 out of 5. The only issue with this machine is that it is not meant for people who weigh more.
10. Vue Pro Leg Stretcher
Lastly on our list is also a leg stretcher. It is designed to withstand much heavier weights and is easy to assemble and store. It can be used to improve body flexibility, tone the thighs, stretch the legs, etc. The product when put under our conditions:
- Purpose – used for leg stretches and thigh workouts.
- Training Level – little to moderate training levels required.
- Budget – a bit costly at $189.98 for limited functionality.
- Versatility – not a wide range of exercises that can be performed.
- Storage & Portability – easy to store but has a significant footprint.
- Assembly – it comes 95 percent assembled and the rest of the assembly is quick and easy.
- Durability – the quality of steel and padding used is built to last for a long time.
- It is durable and easy to assemble.
- Offers an easy way to improve flexibility and balance.
- The price is high for the limited functionality.
- It is not suitable for taller individuals.
Customer Reviews: This product has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. The only gripe that customers have with this product is the unsuitability for taller individuals.
Our Editor’s Selected Best Leg Workout Machines
Based on the total functionality and looking at all the products on our list of the best leg workout machines, the editor’s pick for the best amongst the best is the: LeikeFitness Deep Sissy Squat Workout Station
The factors that were instrumental in it being the best of the above-mentioned best leg workout machines are:
- The machine offers a very wide range of exercises.
- Can be used to work out legs, glutes, calves, lower back, thighs, etc.
- Can even be used to perform squats and lunges.
- The price is very economical for the range of exercises it offers.
- It is very easy to assemble and store.