Before we give you our list of the best rubber weight plates, it is important to understand the need and utility of weight plates and how they can revolutionize your daily workouts. The fitness industry has come a long way and personal fitness, in particular, has become a lifestyle.
And there is no better workout than weight training. No matter how much cardio you do, if your goal is to get fit and toned and have that chiseled physique you’ve always hoped for. Then weight training is the way to do it.
And even if you’re not big on building muscles and getting ripped, weight training is good for the body holistically. It will help you build strength and give your body the energy to do everyday tasks in a much better manner.
Some of the benefits of weight training include:
- Improves Bone Density – It will increase your bone density and make them less prone to fractures and diseases such as osteoporosis.
- Better Body Composition – Weight training will help you lose fat and have a better muscle mass which is healthy body composition.
- Increase in Metabolism – Incorporating weight training boosts the body’s metabolism which is great for weight loss.
- Increase in Strength – It drastically increases your strength which comes in handy while performing daily tasks.
- Reduced Chances of Injury – Muscles that are worked out regularly become resilient to wear and tear and injuries in the long term.
Now that we are aware of the advantages of weight training, we shall dive into the best ways to perform weight training exercises. The most ideal and easiest way is to use weight training equipment such as dumbbells, barbells, etc.
What do dumbbells, barbells, etc. have in common? They have weights attached to them. Traditionally weights used to be of iron and were prone to rust and in many cases, they led to injuries and cuts to the people using them. Over time, rubber weight plates have replaced iron plates all over the world and have become the industry standard. Before we dive into our best rubber weight plates list, we need to know what they are in order to make an informed decision. Before choosing the best rubber weight plates, let us learn a little about what rubber weight plates are.
What are Rubber Weight Plates?
They are a type of Olympic weight plate that has an extra coating of rubber over them. Olympic weight plates are the standard plates used across all the gyms across the world and in-home gyms as well. Firstly, these plates have the advantage of being more stable on the barbells. Secondly, they can be of multiple weight categories and are generally easier to use and perform weight training with.
Moreover, the rubber coating protects both the floor and the plates themselves. The rubber coating makes the plates durable and long-lasting.
Rubber weight plates are made out of solid iron on the inside and have a rubber coating on the outside. The type of rubber used on the outside could be of multiple kinds, such as:-
- Virgin Rubber Plates – They are made using fresh rubber coatings and do not have the old rubber smell which is pretty common with stuff made out of rubber. They are very durable and easy to handle. And can be the perfect addition to a regular gym or any home gyms.
- Recycled Rubber Plates – This type of rubber plate is made out of rubber recycled from old tires. As using virgin rubber can be a bit costly, most of the gym equipment including the flooring of the gyms uses recycled rubber.
Most of the rubber weight plates available in the market come with gaps within them to allow for the users to grip the plates and put them on the barbells and other equipment. This is what makes them so easy to use as adding or removing weights to barbells and equipment is where many accidents occur. The gaps in the plates make sure that the plate does not slip and unless you are using too heavy a weight, you won’t need assistance to put these weights on.
What are Bumper Rubber Weight plates?
With the popularity that Crossfit training has been gaining in recent years, another type of rubber weight plate is getting popularized. They are called Bumper Plates. The bumper plates differ from the regular rubber plates in a way that they are solid rubber weights instead of having gaps in them.
Bumper plates are very solid and can withstand falls from heights without any damage to them, or the floor as well. The best feature of bumper plates is that the diameter for any weight bumper plate is the same. With an increase in weight, the width or the thickness of the plates increases. They can be stacked one after the other, and offer a better distribution of weight across the barbells.
Most of the weight lifting competitions etc. use the bumper plates as well. This is because they give much better consistency with the weights and the margin of error in the weight of these plates is very low.
There are two kinds of bumper weight plates depending upon the coating on them:-
- Rubber Coated – These are like the normal rubber weight plates, without the gaps in them. And just like rubber weight plates, the coating can be of virgin or recycled rubber.
- Urethane Coated – It is a polymer that is used to coat weight plates. Urethane coating offers much better durability than rubber-coated weights and is very sturdy. They do cost a bit more than the traditional rubber plates or rubber-coated bumper plates, but they more than make up for it with their durability. Urethane-coated plates also have the advantage that they do not have an odor like the rubber plates can have at times.
Now that we know what are all the different types of rubber weight plates available in the market. The next thing to understand for your best rubber weight plates purchase is the things that you should consider before making the purchase.
Things to consider before buying rubber weight plates
- Purpose – Firstly, you will need to define what purpose you are going to buy the weights for. Depending on the purpose, different types of rubber weight plates are much more suited than the others. For eg., bumper weight plates are suitable for Crossfit and Olympic/professional competitive training.
- Personal Training Level – Secondly, it is very important to assess your level when deciding what plates to buy. Powerlifters, professional athletes, bodybuilders, etc. can perform their exercises using any of the kinds of plates available to them.
- Budget – Thirdly, the budget is one of the biggest markers in making a purchase. You don’t need to splurge huge amounts of money to get the best rubber-weight plates.
- Durability – Fourthly, while working out, you will drop some weights or they might slip out every once in a while.
- Bounce on The Plates – Fifthly, the rubber-weight plates have a bounce in them. They will bounce off the surface upon falling and it might cause damage to the floor.
- Ease of Use – Some rubber-weight plates are much easier to use than the others. Hence it is important to factor it in while making a purchase. Bumper plates do not have gaps that can be used as a grip so it might pose an issue to some buyers.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – Different plates have different inner ring diameters. You must pick the ones that would fit your barbells perfectly. Too loose a plate will prove to be an issue while performing weight training.
- Material – Lastly, the material that is being used in the plates defines how durable they are and whether they give out an odor or not.
We have covered all the things that you should keep in mind before buying the best rubber weight plates for your weight training. Now let us dive right into our best rubber weight plates list.
10 Best Rubber Weight Plates
1. Balelinko Olympic Grip Plate
The first set of plates on our best rubber weight plates list are the Balelinko Olympic grip plates. They are made of cast iron with a rubber coating. They have a 2-inch inner ring that will ensure that these plates fit perfectly on most Olympic-style barbells, etc.
In the next part of our best rubber weight plates list for Balelinko plates, we look at them from the factors of consideration before making the decision:
- Purpose – These plates can be used for all types of workouts, including Crossfit as well.
- Personal Training Level – the holes in the plates make these very easy to use for any level of weight trainers.
- Budget – A pair of 2.5lbs plates costs around $23.99 only.
- Durability – The rubber coating is of very good quality and makes these plates long-lasting.
- Bounce on The Plates – The bounce is manageable unless they are dropped from a huge height.
- Ease of Use – The three gaps are very handy in making the use easier.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – 2-inch inner diameter
- Material – Made from solid cast iron, and coated with premium quality elastic rubber.
- These rubber weight plates are very solid built and the gaps offer the user a very solid grip.
- The plates come in a variety of weight ranges, so they offer a lot more to their users in a very cost-effective manner.
- The rubber used in these plates gives off a very strong odor which has been a consistent issue for most of the users and buyers of these plates.
- Due to the rubber coating over them, they don’t look new or easy on the eyes after only a few weeks of usage.
Customer Reviews: The customers have given these plates 4.6 stars out of 5, which is why they are on our list of best rubber weight plates. The only issue with the plates is the odor, which is pretty common for rubber weight plates.
2. Steelbody Olympic Rubber Bumper Weight Plate
The second on our list of the best rubber weight plates are Steelbody Olympic weight plates. They are bumper plates that have a 100 percent solid rubber body that is elastic and waterproof. These are designed for Olympic size bars and have a 2-inch inner diameter with a stainless steel inner ring. This makes them one of the best rubber weight plates that are available.
Looking at these plates from the point of view of our conditions:
- Purpose – The plates can be used for weightlifting, Crossfit, or powerlifting as well.
- Personal Training Level – They are very handy for any level of lifters although they come in only 4 weight categories.
- Budget – a pair of 10 lbs plates costs only $24.99 which makes these plates one of the best in their price range.
- Durability – these plates are designed to withstand falls and are made from durable rubber entirely.
- Bounce on The Plates – the bounce if they fall can be managed unless it is from a great height.
- Ease of use – The plates are very easy to use on any standard Olympic size bars
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – The 2-inch diameter is the standard size and the 1.5-inch stainless steel ring around it makes it very easy to slide in and out.
- Material – 100 percent solid rubber is used in them.
- Made of 100 percent solid rubber
- The plates are very durable and easy to use.
- They only come in four different weight categories.
- An all-rubber body and no grip make them very dangerous if they slip from a height.
Customer Reviews: For this product in our best rubber weight plates, the customers have given them a 4.5 out of 5 stars. One of the best bumper plates available in the market for a very affordable price. There are some complaints about the plates not being authentic though.
3. Lionscool Rubber Coated Olympic Grip Plate
The third item on our best rubber weight plates list is the Lionscool Rubber Coated Olympic Weight Plate. They are made of cast iron with a 2-inch rubber coating over them. The plates have a 2-inch inner hole and are available in a variety of weight range.
Upon further assessment of these items in our best rubber weight plates list:
- Purpose – The plates are perfect for weight training but might not be suitable for Crossfit perfectly.
- Personal Training Level – They come in all weight ranges thus making them useful at all levels of training.
- Budget – one pair of 2.5 lbs plates costs $24.99 and it is very affordable for their quality.
- Durability – The 2-inch rubber coating over them is thick and makes them very durable.
- Bounce on The Plates – The rubber quality is very sturdy and doesn’t bounce a lot.
- Ease of use – There are 3 gaps in the plates which makes them pretty easy to use on rods.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – The 2-inch diameter makes them suitable for any Olympic size barbell.
- Material – made of cast iron with a 2-inch rubber coating over them.
- Very affordable and durable
- The gaps in between the plates make them very easy to use.
- The rubber can give off a foul odor.
- These are not the best to look at as the rubber gets dirty pretty easily with regular use.
Customer Reviews: The customers have given it a rating of 4.6 out of 5, which is why they make it to our list of best rubber weight plates. The only major issue is the foul odor.
4. RitFit Olympic Rubber Grip Plates
The fourth product on our list of best rubber weight plates is the RitFit Olympic Rubber Grip Plates. They are made up of solid iron core and the outside is slide rubber with a 2-inch inner diameter for use on any Olympic barbell.
Subjecting this product on our best rubber weight plates list to our conditions:
- Purpose – These weights are perfect to use for weightlifting and powerlifting.
- Personal Training Level – They come in a lot of weight ranges so they suit any level of training.
- Budget – A pair of 2.5 lbs plates costs $28.99.
- Durability – the quality is very solid and good and they are built to last a long time.
- Bounce on The Plates – the sliding rubber ensures that the bounce is manageable.
- Ease of Use – the plates have three gaps to give you the proper grip while putting them on or off from the barbells.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – a 2-inch diameter makes them a perfect fit for any type of Olympic barbell.
- Material – the inside is solid iron, while the outside layer is slide rubber.
- Available in a lot of weight ranges.
- The rubber used is shockproof and durable.
- A consistent issue is a foul smell.
- The price is higher than the other products.
Customer Reviews: for this product on our list of best rubber weight plates, the customers have given it a 4.7 out of 5. The only gripe that some customers have is the slightly higher price.
5. Everyday Essentials Color Coded Olympic Bumper Plate Weight Plate
The fifth product in our list of best rubber weight plates list is from Everyday Essentials. These are color-coded bumper plates made of very dense rubber.
Studying this product on our best rubber weight plates list from our considerations point of view:
- Purpose – Ideal for Crossfit and powerlifting.
- Personal Training Level – Come in a lot of weight ranges making them suitable for all levels.
- Budget – A bit on the costly side with a single plate of 10lbs worth $33.99.
- Durability – The rubber used is very dense making these plates very strong.
- Bounce on The Plates – The bounce is negligible due to the density of the rubber being high.
- Ease of Use – the color-coding makes these plates very easy to use.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – the plates have a 2-inch inner diameter perfect for all Olympic barbells.
- Material – made from solid condensed rubber.
- Solid condensed rubber is durable.
- Color coding is very handy when using them.
- The price is too high for a single plate.
- Not available in weights less than 10lbs.
Customer Reviews: The customers have given it a 4.2 out of 5 and that is why they are included in our list of best rubber weight plates. The only major issue with these plates is the price range.
6. RAGE Fitness Olympic Bumper Plate
The sixth product on our best rubber weight plates list is one of the best products that are available in the market. They are made of solid recycled rubber and have a 2-inch inner hole.
Putting this item from our best rubber weight plates list to test against our conditions:
- Purpose – The plates are best suited for Crossfit, powerlifting, and weight lifting.
- Personal Training Level – They are available in only two weight ranges so only for intermediate and above levels.
- Budget – These plates are on the high side with each 25 lbs plate costing $44.26.
- Durability – Made from recycled rubber, they are made to last long.
- Bounce on The Plates – The weight range is higher, thus the bounce is minimal on these plates.
- Ease of Use – Not built for beginners which can be an issue.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – 2-inch inner diameter.
- Material – The material is composite recycled rubber.
- Very solid and sturdy plates that last long.
- Perfect for those that intend to lift heavyweights.
- Cost is on the slightly higher side.
- Recycled rubber gives out a strong odor.
Customer Reviews: The customer’s reviews stand at 4.6 out of 5 stars, making it one of the highest-rated products on our best rubber weight plates list.
7. PINROYAL Rubber Bumper Weight Plate
The seventh item on our best rubber weight plates list is the Pinroyal Rubber Bumper Weight plates. They are made from solid natural recycled rubber and have a 2-inch diameter inner ring.
Based on our analysis for the best rubber weight plates:
- Purpose – Perfect for CrossFit and powerlifting.
- Personal Training Level – Not available in less than 10 lbs weight range. Hence not suitable for beginners.
- Budget – these have a higher price range of $49.99 for a 10lbs plate.
- Durability – The rubber used is very sturdy, solid, and damage resistant.
- Bounce on The Plates – The design is such that the bounce is very low.
- Ease of Use – These plates make very little noise when bumped together and are easy to use.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – 2-inch inner diameter, fit for Olympic barbells.
- Material – they are made of natural recycled rubber with a steel ring in between.
- These plates have a very low bounce.
- The plates are perfect for home or professional gym settings.
- The price is slightly high.
- These plates are not available in weights below 10 lbs.
Customer Reviews: Based on more than 70 reviews, this product on our best rubber weight plates list has a rating of 4.5 out of 5. People in their reviews have only asked for the price to be a bit lower.
8. Everyday Essentials Color Coded Olympic Bumper Plate Weight Plate
The next on our list of best rubber weight plates is from one of the industry leaders. These plates are made from high-density rubber and are fit to be used on Olympic size barbells. These are built to withstand repeated drops and falls.
Looking at this item in our best rubber weight plates list critically:
- Purpose – These plates are perfect for Crossfit and powerlifting.
- Personal Training Level – not available in less than 10 lbs range. So not suitable for beginners.
- Budget – Slightly costly at $59.99 for a single 15lbs plate.
- Durability – These plates are built to last repeated falls.
- Bounce on The Plates – the material is so designed that the bounce is kept to a minimum.
- Ease of Use – The color coding makes them very efficient.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – 2-inch standard diameter perfect for all Olympic barbells.
- Material – They are made from solid rubber of high density.
- Very sturdy and durable.
- Color coding is very useful while working out.
- The high price can act as a hindrance.
- The odor of the recycled rubber can be a bit for some users.
Customer Reviews: Customers have been happy with this item on our best rubber weight plates list a 4.2 out of 5. With only one complaint about the pricing.
9. B-Fit Urethane Coated Weight Grip Plate
The second last item on our list of the best rubber weight plates is a Urethane coated plate made from cast iron on the inside. It has an Olympic standard 2-inch inner ring and is built to withstand heavy use.
The conditions met for this item in our best rubber weight plates are:
- Purpose – These plates are best suited for weight training and powerlifting.
- Personal Training Level – available only in 25 lbs and 45 lbs category so not suited for beginners.
- Budget – Urethane-coated plates are costlier than rubber ones and each plate of 25lbs cost $89.99.
- Durability – Urethane is more durable than rubber.
- Bounce on The Plates – They are less bouncy than the usual rubber ones and protect the user and the floor.
- Ease of Use – the gaps in the plates are designed to facilitate their use.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – standard 2-inch inner ring diameter.
- Material – Solid cast iron with a Urethane coating.
- Very solid build and design make them easy to use.
- They do not damage the floor and are built to last.
- The high cost is a hindrance.
- Only available in two weight ranges.
Customer Reviews: The customers have showered a rating of 4.5 out of 5 on this product in our best rubber weight plate lists with the high price being the only issue for some buyers.
10. Synergee Bumper Plates
The last but certainly one of the best products on our best rubber weight plates list, these bumper plates are made from durable solid rubber that is built to withstand falls and glide smoothly on the barbells.
Running our conditions on this product in our best rubber weight plates list:
- Purpose – They are perfect for weightlifting, Crossfit, and powerlifting as well.
- Personal Training Level – Available from 10lbs to 35lbs and hence suited for all levels.
- Budget – A 10lbs pair costs $99.95.
- Durability – These are one of the most durable products available.
- Bounce on The Plates – Designed to minimize the bounce and impact on the floor.
- Ease of Use – very easy to glide on the barbells.
- Diameter of The Inner Ring – a standard Olympic barbell size 2-inch ring.
- Material – Made from high-density rubber polymer.
- The plates bounce very low.
- Available in a variety of weight ranges.
- Price is higher than other bumper plates.
- The odor is not as much as others but it is still present.
Customer Reviews: More than 50 customers have given this product on our list of best rubber weight plates, a rating of 4.9 out of 5. In short, there is hardly any issue with these plates.
Our Editor’s Pick:
Based on comparative analysis and counting in all the factors, the editors pick from the best rubber weight plates is: Synergee Bumper Plates
The reasons for picking it are:
- These plates offer the best value for money.
- Bumper plates are much sturdier and durable than simply rubber-coated ones.
- The range of weights offered by this product is fit for all levels of training.
- One of the issues faced by most rubber weight plates is the odor, which is minimal in its case.
- Even though a bit costly, these plates are a long-term Olympic-style investment in your fitness and will last throughout.